So who did you think is the cutest character in Zootopia? Could it be Finnick?
Just look at those eyes!
Finnick is the partner and best friend of successful con artist, Nick Wilde, being a cunning con artist, himself. Together, the two regularly roam about the city of Zootopia during the day, hustling citizens as a means to make a quick buck. Though they are polar opposites, the two get along well when working a scheme, and have shown to be met with considerable success in their operations. Being a fennec fox, Finnick is much smaller than Nick.
But would you still say he was the cutest character in Zootopia if you saw him out of his elephant costume?
Not-so cute now!
I think we need to go back to his cute self!
Here are some (actually a lot!) of Fun Facts about this character from Disney Wiki:
- Finnick’s name is a play on his species’ name.
- The casting of Tommy Lister was intended to juxtapose Finnick’s character design.
- In some books and merchandising, Finnick’s eyes are incorrectly colored blue or gray.
- In earlier drafts of the story, Finnick and Nick worked at a fast food restaurant in Little Rodentia called Chez Cheese. Another version had them working at a restaurant called Bug-Burga.
- According to co-director Byron Howard, Finnick is older than Nick, but refuses to disclose his actual age.
- An elephant was not the only disguise choice for Finnick throughout production. Other roles included a popsicle and a nurse.
- On occasion, he can ironically succumb to his own stereotype, as he was seen falling asleep in his stroller at one point of the film.
- He is also a heavy snorer, yet ironically whimpers very much like a puppy in his sleep.
- The song Finnick plays in his van during his reveal is “Parlez-Vous Rap” by Bloodpop and Daveed Diggs.
- Finnick is either incorrectly proportioned or he has a form of dwarfism. Although fennec foxes are the smallest foxes in the world, in real life, adult fennec foxes are almost as large as red foxes, like Nick Wilde.
- According to co-director Jared Bush, “Finnick” is actually just a nickname, and the character refuses to reveal his real name to others out of coyness.
- Finnick’s outfit in early concept art heavily resembles the final design of Nick’s outfit.
- Baymax from Big Hero 6 can be seen as an antenna topper on Finnick’s van.
- During renovations of the Walt Disney Animation Studios building, beginning in 2014, Finnick was one of the character silhouettes featured on the wall mural.
- Finnick’s popularity following the film’s release led to an increase in demand for fennec foxes as pets in Chinese markets, although the animals are considered unsuitable for domestication.
For more Zootopia Mystery Minis, please see the post entitled Zootopia ‘Mystery Minis’ Vinyl Figure.